Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why the Golden Globes Will Change Your Closet

Yesterday my wonderful boyfriend got me really fired up about The Golden Globes. While I admit, I can't sit through the entire awards show, or any other one for that matter, I am always transfixed by the red carpet. So are 90% of other women in America. Most of you know that Joe is on a morning radio show here in Huntsville. So on the show and on his Facebook page he posed this question.
I never have understood why women care so much about what celebs wear to award shows...it's not like your going to go buy some celeb's $10,000 gown to wear out to Rosie's this Friday night for date night, so what's the big deal???
Of course this fired me up enough to quote some Rachel Zoe and give about a full page analysis on why awards season fashion is important to everyone. But this also led me to believe maybe there are other people out there in the world who don't understand why either. This is for you. Or if you do understand, then maybe  you picked up on trending that I didn't and vice versa. 
If you want to see the non politically correct version of our conversation, (including a little name calling) click on the link above to his Facebook page. annndddd.... while you are clicking anything I tell you to at the moment..... here is his fan page. :)
Back to fashion. My argument to Joe, and any person who agreed with his statement about wearing gowns to date night, was this:
Obviously you aren't going to wear Marchesa to the movies, however Spring fashion is greatly influenced by awards season. Mainstream designers and lines that most people purchase their clothes from look to not only Fashion Week, Spring RTW, and Couture lines from designers, but to the red carpet so they can see what trends are actually going to stick through the spring season. Still don't believe that Charlize Theron's Dior dress matters to what you are going to have hanging in YOUR closet in the next 2 months? While I have time I just will show you a few ways that Red Carpet fashion will impact your spring wardrobe.

Zooey Deshanel
At first glance I know what you are thinking.... How in the world does that crazy Prada dress influence my closet? It's green.... and kinda fuzzy... and just... NOT practical to wear to lunch. Never fear! There is a lesson to be learned. First of all, this limeade color is going to be everywhere this season. Don't worry, you don't have to go crazy and buy a lime green pair of pants. (Although they will be making them.... trust me) Zooey's dress teaches us that any neutral can be made interesting with a lime green pop of color. Face it. Without the green splash in this dress there would be nothing to set it apart from any other black dress on the red carpet. STILL don't believe me? Look at some of the pre-spring fashions that are already out, that will remind Zooey of her red carpet look.
bebe - $119

Angelina Jolie

Take Angelina Jolie's Versace dress. What you take away from that is that color blocking is going to be big this spring, so are structured elements, and anything neutral with a pop of color. While she went with red, if you replaced the red on her dress with a hot coral color she would be right on trend for Spring 2012. 
Tibi $450

Gucci $1990

Charlize Theron
Everything this year will be nude, nude, nude. Maybe with a little blush and cream thrown in. Charlize's dress is right on point with everything bridal fashion this year. So, for you ladies getting married this year, red carpet fashion is for you too. From Jessica Beil's Elie Saab dress, to this beautiful Dior creation, the red carpet is always full of bridal inspiration. Brides this year are looking to make a statement. Plunging neck lines, high slits or hems, oversized bows or ruffles, and interesting hues and patterns will be in every wedding magazine from here to kingdom come.
J. Mendel

I could do this all day long! Unfortunately I have other things to get done on my day off then sit here and blog. Bummer. But if there are any other Golden Globe looks you love and want a way to incorporate them into your everyday life, just click the button to email me, comment below, or come visit me at bebe at Bridgestreet.... Just not today. I'm not there. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment